Skip to main content

Here We Go Again - @Studio30Plus Writing Prompt


Before he heard the report he felt the change in air pressure as the bullet streaked past his cheek. As he quickly ducked down he thought to himself "I'm a lot luckier than Peterson who yesterday caught a sniper's bullet between the eyes".

Lieutenant Brown turned to the men in his unit - the men left in his unit. Altogether five of them huddled behind the remaining wall in the rubble of what last week was a church. "Maybe that was it" thought Brown, "I either have a horse shoe up my ass or some higher being is looking over me."

But Peterson and four others had not been so lucky and now Brown's advance team was half the number it used to be.

A week in the rubble had taken it's toll. Five men were dead and the remaining five were very unsettled, nervous and jumpy. Especially at night. It was hard to see in the dark and there was little firing from the enemy. But any little noise would cause their hearts to beat faster and prompt sweat to run down their foreheads and across their cheeks. It was almost more nerve-wracking than the daylight and the men got very little sleep.

Brown was worried as he tossed and turned. The rest of the troop should have caught up to the advance team by now. But instead Brown and his men had to fight off the enemy alone and they were severely outnumbered in their efforts.

The sun slowly rose, brightening the sky and the men clutched their rifles in anticipation of the fire-fight to come.

Sam paused the Xbox and ran to the washroom. He returned and said "Ah, that's better". He turned to Jeff, stretched his hand out over the resume button and excitedly said to his playing partner "Here we go again".


Comments

ReformingGeek said…
Whew. I breathed a sigh of relief on that one.
nonamedufus said…
I had you worried did I?
Katy B. said…
Quite a shifting of gears. I was also tense before the last paragraph!
Kir said…
I don't think there is one human being that doesn't think of (and thank, over and over again) our military. I honestly couldn't do the job they do.

So my heart was pounding in my chest, thinking about sleep deprivation, sand in my eyes and death being close enough to take me.
But the way you ended it was perfect, because all those emotions are still there, but those men are safe, ready for battle.

As usual the twists you bring are fresh and well written.
nonamedufus said…
I started writing this without an ending in mind. In fact, I thought I'd end it with the Lieutenant sighing the prompt. This just seemed a better way to go.
nonamedufus said…
This tale is timely since the Canadian government only this week voted to participate in the Iraq war against ISIS. I'm not a big fan of war, or our participation, so I went another route.
Kenneth Lawson said…
Definitely not what it appears to to start out as. its amazing how wrapped up in a game and how real it can be, especially when its written like that,, good job..
jannaverse said…
I like surprise endings. Not so good when it involves finding half a spider inside a muffin, but good in stories like this.
Joe said…
I felt myself physically relax when I saw that it was a video game. That was intense.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies