Skip to main content

Bibliofile - December 2014/Best Reads of 2014


Well, I didn't hit 100 but I sure came close. After reading 7 books in December when all was said and done I'd read 98 books last year. Like the other months last year, December had it's highlights including books by Augusten Burroughs, Rachel Joyce and Stephen King.

In Dry Burroughs, who wrote the biographical Running With Scissors about his dysfunctional upbringing, again returns to his own life in a very humorous look at a very serious subject: addiction.

The Love Song of Miss Queen Hennessy was a simply delightful read about the woman at the centre of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, itself a wonderful page-turner.

And finally, what can one say about Stephen King that hasn't already been said. In Revival King returns to form as an intriguing story teller who lulls you in then hits you with a brick in the face near the end.

Here are the books I read:

Dry -Augusten Burroughs *****
Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones - Paul Trynka ****
Special Deluxe - Neil Young ****
The Love Song of Miss Queen Hennessy - Rachel Joyce *****
Awakening - Ray N. Kuili ***
A Grief Observed - C.S. Lewis ****
Revival - Stephen King *****

Now every one and their dog has been talking about their favourite books of the year, so I may as well too.

Keep in mind these may not all be current best sellers. They're just books I read this year. And since I've been reading for the last 12 months I went with my favourite 12 books of the year, although I kind of cheated because one choice is a trilogy and another is two books in a series. But, hey, this is my blog and I can do what I want.

1. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
2. Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
3. I Was Dora Suarez - Derek Raymond
4. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson
5. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - Gabrielle Zevin
6. Here Comes The Night - The Dark Soul of Bert Burns
and the Dirty Business of Rhythm and Blues - Joel Selvin
7. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
8. Stoner - John Williams
9. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson
10. The Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth
11. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
12. The Rosie Effect/The Rosie Project - Graeme Samson

How about you? What were your faves?



Comments

I want to get to The Book Thief and The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden this year. Among my favorites were Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Yes Please by Amy Poehler. Yesterday I read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, which I think you'd like because of the musical references, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, which I think would be your kind of quirky novel.
nonamedufus said…
You're absolutely right about the Curious Incident... I have read it and, yes, I loved it. Well, Bryan, it's a new year. We better get at it. So many books so little time.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies